I use this recipe when I make both my traditional Christmas gingerbread stars as well as the gingerbread men.
1/6 cup Margarine
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Golden Syrup
1/3 cup Cold Water
3 cups Plain Flour
1/2 cup Self Raising Flour
1/2 tspn mixed spice
1/2 tspn ginger
1/2 tspn cloves
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2.Mix through ingredients thoroughly.
3. Knead the mixture into a ball. Lightly flour a board and knead the mixture until it is smooth without any cracks.
4. Roll it out until it is about 1/2cm thick. Using biscuit cutters, cut the dough into shapes and place them on a foil covered tray.
5. Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. When cool, ice and decorate.
Gingerbread House Icing Recipe
2 cups of icing sugar
1/2 tspn of lemon juice
1 egg white
1. Whisk the egg white and lemon juice together
2. Add the icing sugar and mix thoroughly until quite firm.
You will need two batches of the icing for the gingerbread house. One batch to put the house together (you need quite a lot on each piece as well as holding it for a few minutes until it sets) and the other to stick the lollies to the house. You can also use this icing to decorate the traditional stars or gingerbread men if you use a piping bag.